Half-Blood | Review

Title: Half-Blood
Series: Covenant #1
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Pages: 383 pages
Version: Paperback
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Rating: ★★★★★ 

Synopsis

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi – pure-bloods – have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals – well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.

Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:

Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.

Unfortunately, she’s crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn’t her biggest problem – staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

Review

Half-Blood is the first book in the Covenant series and tells the story of Alex, Aiden and Seth.

So I’ve read the Lux series and The Dark Elements series by Jennifer L. Armentrout and I was really excited to start a new Fantasy/Paranormal series by her. I’m so happy that I bought and read Half-Blood, I was hooked from the first chapter and I couldn’t stop reading. Sophie, from Eyes of Owls, and I buddy read this book and we decided to read 5 chapters a day. But we kinda changed that because we couldn’t stop reading, so the last two days we read 10 chapters a day instead of 5. I’m so happy that Sophie and I both loved this book.

Even though Half-Blood is just the first book in the series, I’m sure that I’m going to love all the other books. I just love Alex, Aiden and Seth. They’re amazing characters and I cannot get enough of them. Alex is so badass, so strong and so funny. I loved her! Aiden is so irresistible and something Alex cannot have. I really like Aiden because he’s so different from all of Alex’ friends. And then we have Seth… I’m not sure what to think of him. He’s kind of weird but then at the end of the book, it felt like he changed a bit? I’m not sure. I just know that Aiden has my heart.

When I read the first few chapters, the story kind of reminded me of Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. And I don’t mean this in a bad way because I loved VA. Alex reminded me of the main character, and Aiden reminded me of the main character’s love interest. It’s also set in a school where they teach people how to fight, etc. But like I said, it didn’t bother me at all, I even loved it.

The last thing that I want to mention is the cover. I think that the US covers are pretty, but the UK covers are STUNNING with the white/grey background. I cannot wait to own all the books because they’re so stunning. My edition also contained the Daimon prequel and I really liked reading about Alex before Half-Blood!

I cannot wait to continue this series and hopefully Sophie and I will read all the books together!