Internship update #1

Internship update VDL KTI
It’s already the seventh week of my internship, so I wanted to give you guys a little update on how everything is going.

I started my internship at VDL KTI on the 17th of February and (normally) I’ll end my internship on the 15th of May. I was really nervous the first day of my internship, but everyone is really kind and now I feel at ease there. VDL KTI is a small company and is part of a bigger company called VDL Groep. I really like that VDL KTI is a small company because there’s no hierarchy, you can easily talk to the boss the same way you talk to your coworkers. I really like that because it’s less stressful for me and my anxiety.

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6637629445396017152Let’s talk about what I do. Every Monday I help the receptionist with answering the telephone, checking invoices, entering employee hours, making sure the meeting room is set, and other small things. From Tuesday to Friday, I work in the Sales Department. There I’m in charge of communication and marketing, such as the website, social media, updating an old brochure, and some other things. I really like that I have a variety of tasks that I can do so I’m not always doing the same thing. It’s also just something that I really like to do because I’m always busy with social media and my blog.

My internship has also helped me with answering the phone and talking to people I don’t know. Don’t get me wrong, I still get a little nervous, but everything is going better and better. It also helps that the employees are so kind and helpful because I’m not afraid to ask questions. And the employees that I don’t work with are always asking me how I’m doing or if I like my internship, etc. and that’s just amazing. I don’t dread waking up in the morning at 6:15 am just because my internship makes me happy.

Until March 16th… I started working at my usual spot at the reception together with the receptionist and my internship mentor told me that I had to go home because of the corona measures. I was kind of sad that I had to work from home because my internship makes me feel so good and at home, I usually don’t feel that good. And I totally get that because of corona I have to work at home, I get that, but it doesn’t make it less painful. I just really liked going to my internship and I just hope that the virus will go away soon so I can go to my internship again.

I want to end this blog post on a positive note because I’ve been trying to feel more positive. I’ve mentioned in one of my previous life update posts that my mental health hasn’t been that great because of school and fake friends. Now that I’ve been going to my internship for a few weeks, my mental health has been improving. I don’t think that often about my awful and stressy times at school anymore and I also don’t think that often about the fake friends anymore. Yay!