Heartless | Review

Title: Heartless
Series: Immortal Enemies #1
Author: Gena Showalter
Pages: 393 pages
Version: Ebook
Release date: 29 June 2021
Rating: ★★★★.5

Synopsis

Vengeance is irresistible…

Kaysar the Unhinged One, fae King of Midnight, can drive anyone to madness with his song. A ruthless warrior forged in hate, he lives to force his enemies to their knees. He will stop at nothing to succeed—even abduct and seduce his foe’s beloved bride, ensuring his own child one day sits on the male’s throne. Except, his prize escapes to the mortal realm before the first kiss, her heart transplanted into a mortal beauty with dangerous secrets…

Chantel “Cookie” Bardot is a professional gamer girl great at trash talking, bad at peopling. After a long awaited surgery, she begins to morph into a powerful fae princess. Catapulted into a strange land ruled by a cruel but seductive villain, she must battle flesh and blood monsters and navigate royal intrigues. But the true danger is Kaysar, whose every wicked touch tempts her beyond reason. Should she run…or descend into the darkness with him?


Review

Heartless is the first book in the Immortal Enemies series and tells the story of Kaysar and Chantel.
 
I really enjoy reading books written by Gena Showalter, so I don’t usually read the synopsis of her books. I picked up Heartless and started reading my ebook copy without knowing what the book is about. I was pleasantly surprised that this book is about fae. I think it’s Gena Showalter’s first book series with fae (or at least the first book series I’ve read of her with fae) and I really liked her take on the fae. I also really liked the story in general!

Kaysar’s nickname is the Unhinged One, and that says a lot. He’s such a special man, if you know what I mean, but I love him anyway. He’s been through so much and there are a lot of reasons why he is the way he is. Chantel’s nickname is Cookie, and I really liked the fact that she’s a gamer. I haven’t read that many books with gamer girls. I really enjoyed reading Kaysar and Chantel’s story and seeing them work together and fall for each other. 

I’m really happy that I picked up Heartless because it was such a good Fantasy Romance! I really enjoyed reading the ebook, and I also listened to the audiobook. The narrator’s voice was fun to listen to. I’m really looking forward to the next book in the series, Ruthless. If you’re looking for a Romance read with a cute gamer girl and an unhinged fae? Then I highly recommend Heartless by Gena Showalter!